Homework is an important means of helping students to achieve their potential, by helping them to become active, independent learners, and by promoting their enthusiasm for learning. It is essential in extending students’ knowledge and understanding of all subject areas. Homework should always be a part of a planned learning experience.
Each subject is expected to set weekly homework. There is a clear expectation that homework is challenging and meaningful and that it is completed to the highest of standards by students. To ensure it is, staff set, mark and record homework on a regular basis. For GCSE students this may include regular revision tests in order to prepare effectively for their exams.
At Burnley High School, all teachers set homework through Show My Homework, which all students have access to through their individual accounts.
Homework enables students to:
- Consolidate and extend work covered in class.
- Prepare for new learning activities.
- Develop research skills.
- Have an opportunity for independent work.
- Show progress and understanding.
- Provide feedback in the evaluation of teaching.
- Enhance their study skills e.g. planning, time management and self-discipline.
- Take ownership and responsibility for learning.
- Engage parental/carer co-operation and support.
The role of the student is to:
- Listen to homework instructions in class.
- Regularly check their Show My Homework account to see what homework has been set.
- Ensure that homework is completed and handed in to meet the deadline.
- Attempt all work and give their best.
- Inform the class teacher of any difficulties, before it is due to be handed in.
Show My Homework
- Go to ‘Showmyhomework.com’
- Log on through ‘Office 365’
- Use school email address as the email account
- Use your school computer password.
If students have any issues logging onto Show My Homework, they need to contact their form tutor if they have forgotten their email address. If students have forgotten their password, they need to speak directly to Mr Scott (ICT Technician)
How to help your son / daughter with their homework:
The role of the parent / carer is crucial if a child is to gain success from homework. Parents/carers should reinforce its value through positive feedback, this will give students the confidence to persevere, work hard and reach high standards of achievement.
The school also runs regular after-school Homework Clubs during 2.50-3.50pm during the school week.